Well, technically it's not mine, but ours. Every summer, my Paw Paw grows a garden in our backyard. My mom and I are his trusty assistants, and we take great pride in "our" garden. I've learned lots of gardening lessons over the last couple of summers. These lessons learned (along with the many seeds I've found in the dollar aisle at Target - how can I resist when they're only $1?!) have lead me to believe that I can actually grow things; thus, Mom and I have also been growing some other random plants (herbs, mostly), but those aren't as exciting as the big garden. Mom, Paw Paw, and I (as well as Tekia & friends, for a short time) planted the garden back in April. You'll notice it's planted under black plastic to keep the weeds out - it works! We planted yellow squash, zucchini, spaghetti squash, peas, red and green okra, zinnias, cucumbers, eggplant, and a few different kinds of tomatoes. Come see us for
all your vegetable needs. Most of them anyway.
Mom and Paw Paw planting

Tekia, Rumi, and me planting

little baby plants

This is what our garden looked like back then. The freshly-tilled dirt at the end is where the peas are planted. Apparently weeds aren't as much of a concern with them?

Oh, and Halle was there, too. She looked cute. Like this.

This is what our garden looked like a month later.

And
this is what our garden looks like now! If you're thinking that those humongous zuchinni plants on left look like a jungle that might have wild animals roaming around in it, you are not alone. And you might be right.

And here is some of the produce from our own personal farmer's market. Yummy. If you think "Larry-Boy" when you look at this picture, you've watched too many
Veggie Tales movies.

These are what I'm most excited about!

So excited, in fact, that I couldn't wait to pick them. I had to fry a couple for dinner tonight.

And that is the story of how
my our garden grows. Just call me MaryMaryQuiteContrary.
1 comment:
Callie! I posted pictures of our garden yesterday too! How funny. I am (well really Matt) is so excited to see your idea of the black tarp. He HATES weeding. In fact, he pretty much hasn't done it this year. How do ya'll keep the animals away? We had to add a fence this year. Isn't it fun to eat your own vegetables? YUM!
Post a Comment