Tuesday, August 31, 2010

lend me your hearts

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears eyes. And, while you're at it, lend me your hearts, too. And maybe occasionally your voices lifted up in prayer to the Great Physician, through whom ALL things are possible.

We did not get the news we were praying for today. My mom has pancreatic cancer. This is not a relapse of her breast cancer; in fact, this has nothing at all to do with her previous experiences with breast cancer. She is just one of the lucky 5% of cancer patients who get more than one type of cancer in their lifetime. Her biopsy showed that she has adenocarcinoma of the pancreas. If you know anything about pancreatic cancer, you probably know the prognosis for this is not good. It's pretty terrible actually. However, her oncologist, Dr. Tauer, was able to give us some hope today . . . oh, I how love hope!

First of all, it appears we have caught this very early. Four weeks ago, her CT scan and labs were normal and last week they were abnormal. Thank goodness for Mom's frequent check-ups due to cancer #1. Second, this tumor is currently very small and doesn't appear to have spread anywhere else. The reason most pancreatic cancer cases are fatal is because most people don't realize they have it until it has already spread to other organs; at that point, it is too late for surgery. Only 20 - 30% of people with pancreatic cancer are eligible for surgery, and surgery is the only hope for a cure. Because of the apparent small size and early stage of my mom's tumor, Dr. Tauer feels like she will be a candidate for surgery. He is hopeful that the surgeon will be able to remove the cancer completely.

Because it was after office hours today when we learned all of this, Dr. Tauer was unable to schedule a consult with the surgeon. He will call first thing tomorrow morning and hopefully we'll have an appointment set up by the end of the day. The surgeon we plan on seeing is Dr. Behrman. The surgery we hope she can have done is called a Whipple procedure. It is a big surgery. Fortunately for us, we serve a big God.

Meanwhile, tomorrow at noon, my mom will have an ERCP, an outpatient procedure which involves putting a scope down the throat all the way to the small intestine. This will be done by our good friend Randy, who goes to church with us and happens to be an excellent gastroenterologist. During the procedure, Randy will try to open up the bile duct by placing a stent in it. If he's successful, this should relieve Mom of the symptoms she's been having lately (jaundice, itching, etc.), at least until she can have surgery.

Specific prayer requests right now:
  • Mom's ERCP tomorrow . . . that it will go well and be successful in opening up her bile duct and that she will have no complications.
  • Surgery . . . a) that Mom will be able to see the surgeon for a consult ASAP, b) that she will indeed be a candidate for surgery, and c) that the surgery would be successful in removing every bit of cancer from her body.
  • Pancreatic cancer . . . that her tumor will remain small and not spread to any other organs or lymph nodes before it can be removed.
  • Breast cancer . . . During all of this cancer #2 mess, Mom will not be able to receive her Herceptin, which is the maintenance treatment she has gotten monthly for the past six years to prevent cancer #1 from returning. She is doing great on this front, but pray that her breast cancer will remain in remission during this time!
  • Her doctors . . . Dr. Tauer, Dr. Frederick, and Dr. Behrman and their respective teams . . . that God will give them wisdom and work through them to bring healing.
  • Our family, specifically Jamal and Tekia, who are 15 and 10 years old . . . pray that God will give us His perfect peace and that we will put our trust in Him and continue to praise and bless His name, no matter what.
  • Total and complete HEALING for my mom! Our God is a God who saves!
  • Last but not least, don't forget to thank God for all that He has already done for us and for the blessings that I know are on the way. :-)

Before Dr. Tauer left the room today, he told my mom today that he doesn't think we're through learning from her just yet. He said, "Six years ago when I told you it was in your liver, that was about as bad as it could get, and look how much we've learned from you since then! I think we've still got a lot to learn from you." I would have to agree.

So, the bad news is my mom has pancreatic cancer. And, while it breaks my heart and scares me to death to type those words, I know there is good news, too. The good news is that the God we cry out to tonight is walking this road with us. He has not left our side, not even for a minute. He is the same God I've always known. He is the same as He was yesterday when we were waiting on this news and the same as He was a few weeks ago when all was right with our world. He is a good God, a loving God, a perfect God. And in all of this cancer nonsense, let us not forget what most of us learned as small children, "my God is so BIG, so strong and so mighty - there's NOTHING my God cannot do!"

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine . . ." Ephesians 3:20

16 comments:

Blume Family said...

You can count on our prayers. I would add that we, as a family of faith, are not through learning from your mom yet either - and from your whole family for that matter. Your faith is an encouragement and a blessing.

Marka Bennett said...

Callie...this breaks my heart, too...but I have to shout AMEN to your proclamations that, if we believe God is good, then we must believe that He is good ALL the time, not just when things are "happy." I am praying with all of you for mercy, grace, and complete healing from this cancer. I couldn't love her or your entire family more.

Unknown said...

Callie, You faith is amazing and such an example. Thank you for sharing your heart! We are constantly praying for your precious mom and family. Love, The Hinkles

Beyond Blessed said...

Callie,
I want you to know that Stephen and I are both praying for your mom and your entire family. We serve a mighty God and when you are walking through the storm, you will find that He will give you an umbrella...it doesn't always come in the same way, but you know it's from Him.

We are praying, and we love you guys.

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We don't know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express." Romans 8:26

KTW said...

My prayers go out to you and your family callie!

Madonna Wallace said...

Callie,Your blog is a beautiful testimony and the words on the page you have written an expression of the faith your parents envisioned for you when you were conceived.Your family is living their own story of faith today just as every Bible character we have all come to know so well while reading and learning from scripture.Thank you for documenting this story of your family's faith and walk with God through this life and the unfolding of this real life Bible story.You were a beautiful little girl who has blossomed into an awesome young woman.Whatever twist and turns our lives take and no matter what emotions and struggles we face,God's faithfulness never changes as I know you have been taught very up close and personally by your wonderful parents.Tricia's health and all of you are in my prayers most certainly.Philippians 1:3-6

Anonymous said...

Callie,

I agree so much with your doctor. I know that I have learned so much from your mom only having spoken to her in one phone conversation; but, I know her daughter and know so much of her family. Prayers are constant.

Jill's NaNa

Unknown said...

Thank you for that in-depth update. I'm praying for your mom!

Karen said...

Callie,

AMEN to all that you said in this post. Our God is much bigger than any of this. Your entire family is in my prayers. You are all so special to me...and so many others. Thank you for the detailed post. I'll be around to help in any way I can. ~Karen S.

Teresa said...

I have known your parents since our days at Harding University. Also, I've learned of their amazing service to children from my dearest friend Marka Bennett. So even though IT do not know you personally, I feel connected and want you to know that I am in prayer for Tricia, your family and her team of doctors.

Unknown said...

We're praying for your family

"Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens. Our God is a God who saves."
Psalms 68:19-20

Josh Ross said...

I choose to join with numerous prayer warriors as we beat down the doors of heaven pleading for God's power to be unleashed. May His power, presence, and goodness overflow in abundance.

Kelli Kegley said...

Oh, Callie. My eyes are filled with tears, not only at the news about your mom, but also with your strength. You are such a strong christian woman. I will lift up yor prayer requests often to our BIG God!

Anonymous said...

Callie,
My heart just hurts for all of you....but I am amazed and encouraged with your strength and faith and I know our God is going to remain constant through this journey.
We have loved your family for so many years....just know that you are in our thoughts and prayers constantly....
Joe and Terry Johnson

Anonymous said...

Callie, you are absolutely right. God is there with us every step, in good times and bad. He loves you and your mom so very much! We do not always understand why things happen, but rest assured there is a reason. Your faith is so encouraging! I'll be praying for you all.
Jill C.

Unknown said...

Callie,
What a testimony you and your family are! Your strength and faith amazes me. Please know that your family is in our constant prayers.

Love you all,
Penny Blair