Monday, August 02, 2010

Spain, Day 1 - Are we there yet?

Tekia actually asked that question on the way to Amsterdam (or "Hamsterdam", as she calls it). The kids did really well on our very long day(s) of traveling. Another Edward Jones family from Memphis was traveling with us, so Jamal had friends to hang out with. And Tekia had more than enough pink to get her through the night . . . pink bags, pink outfit, pink blanket, pink pillow ("the pink dreamer"). And maybe the Benadryl helped, too (ironically, also pink).

Strangely enough, these two wanted to sit together.


And we grown-ups got to sit together.


But soon the kids were doing this, so Tekia and Dad ended up trading places. We took a total of four flights this week, and I didn't have to sit by a kid once - not once! Please don't tell anyone.


We left Memphis on Sunday evening and got to Barcelona on Monday afternoon (with one stop in Amsterdam). Funny how that works. Here's our hotel and the weird, artsy fish thing that sits by the pool. Our hotel and the building next to it were Barcelona's first two skyscrapers, built for visitors coming to the 1992 Olympics.


view of the beach from our rooms (the girls shared a room and the guys shared a room)

view of the city from our rooms
Once we finally reached the hotel, we only had about an hour and a half before our welcome dinner. I think this was the only picture I took at dinner. Behold our entertainment.
First order of business after dinner: try out the cool, futuristic-looking hammocks.
hotel scenery
We provided the hotel with even prettier scenery. You're welcome, Hotel Arts Barcelona.
the pool (that I never got in) and the weird fish thing

View of Port Olimpic from our hotel. This entire area was built just for the 1992 Olympics.
Pater et Mater (I don't know Spanish or Catalan, but I figure Latin's semi-close, right?)
After dinner, Mom, Dad, Kia, and I went on a walk around Port Olimpic. Jamal stayed at the hotel with friends, which turned out to be a common occurrence that week.


Some restaurants at Port Olimpic. It was around 9pm and everyone was out to dinner. This was when it really hit me that I was back in Europe. What a wonderful feeling. :-) Though it did make me miss my HUF friends. And my backpack.

The beach in Barcelona at 9 o'clock at night! Love it.
Our hotel, its neighbor, and lots of boats.

More to come! Sometime.

1 comment:

Katie said...

It looks like the trip was amazing! Great pictures too!!!

Still praying for you guys :)