Monday, March 07, 2011

time for a treatment!

You know how, once you've been through something awful, when you hear of other people going through the same thing, it's almost like you go through it all over again? Like you literally ache for those people because you know the hurt they're feeling? Am I the only who's experienced this? For years I've hurt for other foster families when they've had to say goodbye to a child. In recent months I've learned the hurt of losing a grandparent, and I hurt for my friends who are experiencing the same thing. I hurt for families affected by ALS. And of course I hurt for other families who've been touched by this ugly disease called cancer (touched is too nice of word here - more like slapped). And I'm hurting today. I hate cancer. I hate that it turns people's lives completely upside down in a matter of hours. I hate that it splits families between hospitals and homes. I hate that every scan brings with it the possibility of the worst day of your life. I hate that cancer (or at least the fear of it) stays in your life forever. I hate it all.

It seems like I've heard of a lot of new cancer diagnoses lately.  I hate that, too. Today I hurt for Lucy, for Kathy, for Phin, and for Charlie. I hurt for their families. I don't have permission to post about any of these people, so I won't share last names. Lucy is the daughter of some friends of friends. She was just diagnosed with medulloblastoma. Today is her 5th birthday. Kathy is a friend of our from church. She was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. Her little ones are 7 and 1, about the same ages that Jamal and Tekia were when our mom was first diagnosed with breast cancer. Phin is another friend of a friend. He was recently diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia. He's 8 months old. And Charlie I don't really know at all. His wife Pat was very kind to me when I posted on a pancreatic cancer message board a few months ago. She gave me so much hope when she shared their story with me. Charlie's pancreatic cancer diagnosis was very similar to my mom's, as was his report from surgery. He's remained cancer-free since his Whipple . . . seven years ago! In the last few weeks, his tumor marker for PC has been increasing, which could be indicative of new cancer growth somewhere in his body. He has a scan today. As Pat said, the scan could show nothing . . . or it could be everywhere. I hate cancer.

I know today is Monday and that's Tricia's day. ;-) But please join me in praying for these others as well. Pray for complete healing and miracles for these sweet families!

My mom is at West Clinic now, getting her maintenance treatment for breast cancer (herceptin). As you know, prayer is our chemo for her pancreatic cancer. Let the treatment begin!

1 comment:

cynthia Peacock said...

Ahh sweet Callie, I understand. Thank goodness we have the LORD to walk with us, I really feel for those who don't. Praying for all of you...and an extra one for you! Love you girl!
Cynthia :-)