Two years ago today was my very first day of work in the NICU - my first day as a nurse (technically a graduate nurse, but whatever). I was scared to death and could not believe that I actually had the job I did. I hoped I wouldn't screw it up. I hoped my preceptor (i.e., the nurse who I'd work with during my orientation) and I would like each other (we did!). I hoped I would see great things. I hoped God would use me to love people. Because I hadn't taken my boards yet, I couldn't do anything "invasive" and thus took care of "feeder-growers" (preemies who are relatively well - they just need to grow and learn to bottle-feed in order to go home). I pretty much loved every second of my first day. At the end of my very long two years in nursing school, I wasn't even sure if I liked nursing anymore, and I was pretty much convinced that I wouldn't be good at it. But, once I was working, it didn't take me long to remember that I actually did love nursing, and I really could be good at it. I remember, on my third day of work, crying - happy tears - on my way home, overwhelmed by the fact I finally, finally felt about nursing the way I'd hoped to feel when I first decided to become a nurse.
Last year on this day, I was at work again. This time I was on my own (out of orientation, with no preceptor to guide me) - just me and my patients. Shortly after arriving at work, I met a baby girl who would not be my patient that day, but would in the days and weeks to come. Obviously she made a big enough impact on my life that I still think about her a year later. She was my first patient who had a terminal diagnosis. "Incompatible with life" is what we call her condition. I spent many hours caring for this girl, helping her mother learn to care for her, and helping to prepare her family to take her home. I was so proud when I was finally able to send her home with her parents - proud of her for making it home and proud of them for having the courage to take her home. A few days later she was gone. When I met this baby girl, I never would've guessed that just a few weeks later I would be attending her funeral. You attend funerals of people you've known for years - not three weeks. But of all the people who attended her funeral, I was one of the handful who actually knew her, and for that I am so thankful. It was a sweet three weeks and I feel so blessed to have been a part of it.
And then there was today. Nothing major happened to me at work today. I spent it doing things that are normal to me now. I did assessments, gave a blood transfusion, helped with a barium swallow study, attended a c-section, gave breathing treatments, drew blood for labwork, started IVs, and gave medications. And then I did things that have been normal to me for years. I fed babies their bottles (well, I guess giving a bottle full of barium is a relatively new one for me), changed their diapers, rocked them, and talked "baby talk" to them. Still, two years later, I can't believe this is my job! I can't believe how blessed I am to get to do this every day (or, actually, just three days a week . . . even more of a blessing, ha!). I only hope the babies and families I serve will be as blessed by my time with them as I am.

I mean, seriously, did I really just get paid to play with babies for twelve hours? Let's not tell my boss. I don't want to get caught.
4 comments:
Callie, I know you are a fabulous nurse and the parents are blessed to have you watching over their baby! I'm glad you are doing something you love (and have obviously loved since you were little! :) )
Aww, thanks, Kelli. It's almost baby time! So excited for you! Umm, and WHY have you not told me that I have your name spelled wrong in my links?? I know how you spell your name, so I'm not sure why I spelled it like that. I'll fix it ASAP.
I know you are a great nurse...and your precious patients are lucky to have you...your family is very special to our family.....
terry johnson
paragould
You are awesome Callie! But like you didn't already know that :)
Post a Comment