I learned an important lesson this week: I should always update the blog before church on Sunday. Because if I don't, then I will be swarmed by angry Tricia fans shouting, "How's your mom? You haven't updated your blog!" as I make my way between the parking lot and the pew.
Just kidding. They weren't really angry. Just concerned. They weren't really shouting either. More like speaking calmly in a normal tone of voice. As I told them, no news probably means good news. Nonetheless, I will try to update my blog on Fridays or Saturdays in the future to avoid a church full of worried Tricia fans on Sunday mornings. Hopefully, Tricia will soon be at church to give these updates herself!
Oh yes . . . Tricia . . . well, as I've said before, her main issue right now is her appetite (or lack thereof). And late last week we realized she'd developed thrush in her mouth as a result of her antibiotics. The thrush made eating painful for her, which, of course, further complicated matters in the eating department. For a couple of days, she lived on chocolate nutrition shakes. Our wonderful GI doctor friend Randy (not to be confused with my father Randy) hooked Mom up with some medicine for the thrush, and it has definitely helped. Mom is able to eat normal food again (not that she really wants to, but she tries). Actually I'm quite proud of myself right now because tonight I made some fried green tomatoes and fried okra that Mom ate and actually wanted to eat. Eating food is good, but eating food because she actually desires it is a real accomplishment!
Tomorrow Mom has a CT scan and her first follow-up visit with Dr. B (the surgeon). I think Dr. B's doing the CT scan more for drain tube reasons than for cancer reasons, but of course we want to pray for a clean scan! And we also want to pray that Dr. B will be able to remove her drain tomorrow, which will make it so much easier for her to get back to her normal activities. She'll probably get her staples out tomorrow as well and may even be cleared to drive! We'll see . . .
We expect that she'll have an appointment with Dr. T (her oncologist) before the week is over, but we're still waiting to hear from West Clinic about that. Whenever this appointment happens, that's when we'll learn the plan for chemo and whether or not she'll be able to get Tarceva (we want her to be eligible for this drug!).
So our biggest prayer concerns this week (along with the constant "no more cancer" request) are these doctors' appointments . . . that they will go well and that God will give her doctors wisdom and lead them to the right treatments. We are so thankful for the way He has taken care of my mom thus far, and we know He has big plans for her. And we are so thankful to all of you for praying!
Regarding the title of this post, our crazy/wonderful friends have created "Team Tricia" t-shirts! Seriously. The t-shirts are chocolate brown with a pink "Team Tricia" logo (I think they went with more of a breast cancer theme, and since two of her three cancer experiences can be attributed to breast cancer, I guess that makes sense. You can pin a purple ribbon on your shirt if you want to give it a pancreatic cancer touch). Adult sizes S - 3XL are $10 each. If you want a shirt, please let Debbie, Patty, or Becky know by this Saturday, October 16th (I try to refrain from posting last names on here - if you want a shirt and don't know who those people are, just leave me a comment, facebook me, or email me at mostlysweetcallie[at]gmail[dot]com and I'll get your info to the right people). The shirts should be ready by October 27th. Feel free to pass this info along to anyone you think might be interested.
By the way, though you're welcome to wear this shirt to Race for the Cure if you want, there will not be an (organized) Team Tricia at any race. I would've loved to have done that but we've had, you know, other stuff going on the last few weeks. I'm sure we'll be able to put them to good use on Race Day in the future, though! :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment